Vegetables are important to eat because they are low in fat, and high in nutrients. Many people believe that vegetables should be eaten raw. They are right, but not for the reason they think. Raw vegetables can cause stomach problems if eaten too often. Cooking vegetables makes them more digestible, and easier to swallow.
Cooking vegetables also helps to break down the tough fibers of vegetables, making them easier to digest. This means that cooked vegetables will have more vitamins and minerals. It is best to cook vegetables at least once before eating them.
To make sure you are getting all the nutrients from your vegetables, use these tips:
* Always wash vegetables before cooking them. This removes any dirt and pesticides that may have been sprayed on them.
* Peel vegetables with a vegetable peeler or knife.
* Cut vegetables into smaller pieces when cooking them. This will help them to cook faster.
* Don’t overcook vegetables. Overcooking will make them lose their flavor and nutrients.
* To cook vegetables quickly, sauté them in oil or butter.
* Use less salt when cooking vegetables. Salt can make vegetables taste bland.
* When boiling vegetables, use a little water instead of a lot of water. This will help the vegetables to cook faster.
* When steaming vegetables, add a little water. The steam from the water will cook the vegetables.
* Steam vegetables by placing them in a steamer basket over boiling water.
* Add a little lemon juice or vinegar to the water when steaming vegetables.
* Steam vegetables on top of the stove.
* Use a microwave oven to cook vegetables.
* Put vegetables in a baking dish and bake them.
* Use a pressure cooker to cook vegetables.
* Roast vegetables by putting them in a roasting pan and baking them in an oven.
* Use a slow cooker to cook vegetables.